City of Huntington Beach Sand Crab Program
Ages 6-8 Cost: $100
Beach safety and play program designed for kids who are not yet old enough to participate in the traditional Junior Lifeguard Program but still have a love for the beach and ocean.
There will be no swim requirement although some swimming ability is recommended.
Birth Certificates will be required for new registrants.
PURPOSE OF PROGRAM: To acquaint the youth of our community with the experience of the beach and its hazards, while exposing them to an environment that will teach them courtesy, respect, discipline, sound morals, and good sportsmanship.
PROGRAM CONTENT: Ocean and beach safety, lifesaving techniques, basic first aid, procedures for bodysurfing, body boarding, competition with each other, volleyball, and miscellaneous beach games, activities, and ecology. There will be no long distance ocean swims.
- To teach and practice ocean safety knowledge and skills in order to make the participants prepared to become ocean safe.
- To ensure that every participant understands the hazards in an ever-changing ocean environment.
- Develop self-confidence and character through the challenges faced throughout the program.
- Provide physical instruction and fitness opportunities that emphasize healthy living.
- To educate all participants in the importance of the oceans, and encourage the respect and appreciation of all its wonders.
- Promote the protection of the ocean and coastal environments for future generations.
- To instill respect for all participants, their instructors, the program coordinators and the general public.
- To make every participant feel important and a productive member of the program.
- To value and respect the Junior Lifeguard Headquarters and all of the equipment used within the program.
- To introduce the Emergency Medical System (EMS) and teach basic first-aid skills that can be utilized by the participants in emergency situations.
Registration will occur through Junior Lifeguards and Sands Magazine and will be conducted online at: hbsands.com
Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday, July 2 through Friday, August 10, 2018
M/W 12:30 PM to 2:15 PM
M/W 2:30 PM to 4:15 PM
Tu/Th 12:30 PM to 2:15 PM
Tu/Th 2:30 PM to 4:15 PM